What web browsers can be used to access the web applications in GPlates Portal?
The 3D data visualization needs WebGL support from users' web browsers. Below is a list of web browsers which support WebGL.
Click here to see if your web browser supports WebGL. Click
here for detailed WebGL support information about your web browser.
- Chrome (recommended)
- Internet Explorer 11
How to enable WebGL in Safari?
By default, the WebGL support is disabled in Safari. To enable WebGL in Safari, See the instructions below.
- Open the Safari menu and select Preferences.
- Click the Advanced tab in the Preferences window.
- Check the Show Develop menu in menu bar checkbox at the bottom of the window.
- Open the Develop menu in the menu bar and select Enable WebGL.
How to control the 3D globe?
- Time Slider - Use the time slider at the top of the screen to navigate through time. The number to the left of time slider shows the current reconstruction time, in millions of years
- Left click and drag - Rotates the camera around the globe in 3D and translates the camera over the map surface in 2D and Columbus view.
- Right click and drag - Zooms the camera in and out.
- Middle wheel scrolling - Also zooms the camera in and out.
- Middle click and drag - Rotates the camera around the point on the surface of the globe.
If you are using a trackpad on a laptop without a mouse, holding the control key acts the same as the middle mouse button.
Contact us for further assistance